, , , , , ,

It’s been a whirlwind of a weekend, but I’m proud to say it was one of the best weekends I’ve had in a while. It’s been really hard for me to really get rid of the unhealthy habits I picked up when I was pregnant, but I feel like I’ve really made progress this weekend. I know it’s only been a few days, but I really love how I feel right now!


Anyone else feel like this today?

Friday was a bit of a lazy day. The kids were both dragging a little and hubby and I didn’t sleep much this week, so it was a welcome change to just relax as a family. Baby Boy tried mango and eggs for the first time (he hates them both, and one of them gives him a rash), and I managed a super healthy breakfast even though I was a little envious of hubby’s super cheesy sausage and eggs.


Eggs, onions, garlic, beans, corn, and a little cheese with wheat toast (left). Shared some mango with Baby Boy while he devoured his sausage and spit out the eggs (right).

Gotta love the new found mommy skill of plate balancing!


Big Sister and I made homemade hummus for an afternoon snack — love it when she’ll eat healthy food without a struggle!

Saturday dawned far too early —  hubby had already left for work and Big Sister had crawled into my bed to cuddle. Lazy mornings cuddling my kiddos are the best! Of course, that didn’t last long. Big Sister had to be dropped off at a birthday party, and Baby Boy needed to take an extra long nap — my in-laws got us tickets to the DBacks game, and it was a late start. We got home around 1 and I put Baby Boy to bed and prepared to work on some freelance assignments before the hubby got home, and that’s where the afternoon was completely derailed. Baby Boy alternated between crying and playing in his crib, but he flat refused to sleep — it was like he knew something fun was about to happen and he was afraid to miss it. On top of that, our internet went out for the third time since February! At some point, I will probably rant about my internet provider, but for now suffice it to say that I’m sorry I ever switched from Century Link to Cox.

With writing out of the question (all of my freelance articles required research, so no internet = no writing) I decided to get some healthy snacks together for the game and squeeze in a workout. My plan is to start Insanity on Monday (which will coincide with Day 29 of the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge) so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to remind my body what it felt like to do an Insanity workout. OH….HOLY…CRAP. I randomly picked Cardio Power and Resistance, and I made it through the first 20 minutes of the 39 minute workout before I had to get Baby Boy ready for the game. I’d like to lie and say I was disappointed I ran out of time, but if I could have walked straight I would have danced a jig!  Holy WOW I’d forgotten how much that workout kicked my butt — no offense to the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge but I sweat more in that 20 minutes than I have the last 27 days total! The jumps especially kicked my butt, and my calves are still screaming!

We rushed off to Chase Field for the game (and our Martin Prado bobbleheads!) and settled in for a tense evening. I’d brought along some grapes, strawberries, apples, and peanuts, so we weren’t tempted by the seriously expensive, unhealthy ballgame snacks. Baby Boy and I decided to head up to the Sandlot for a while so he could crawl around, but that was cut short after he decided to headbutt a huge glove in the play area. I don’t know who was more surprised and upset, but I’m pretty sure it was me — he had a little bruise but he was happy as ever after a few minutes, while I’m still having a heart attack about it nearly 24 hours later.


Poor baby about 2 minutes before he bonked his face

We finally got him to eat a little and take a nap around 9, and I was sure we’d be headed home before 10…but I was wrong. The game finally ended after two extra innings, and by that time Baby Boy was awake again and NOT a happy camper. Since he can’t walk yet I couldn’t put him down, and he was seriously done with being held. I’m going to find a way to invent a high chair that safely tops a stadium seat so that toddlers can feel like they’re being independent while still remaining safely strapped down…that probably would have eliminated the crisis completely. We finally got home around 12:45, and we all went straight to bed — I can’t remember the last time I’ve been so exhausted!

Of course, despite his naps in the ballpark and in the car, Baby Boy wasn’t feeling great this morning when 7am rolled around and it was time for church. His nose was runny and he was coughing, so I found a substitute for my class and cuddled him until he went back to sleep…and then I went back to sleep. I finally woke up between 9 and 10 and hurried to make a healthy breakfast before Baby Boy woke up again–sausage, eggs, and chia seeds with fresh berries on the side.


My poor baby woke up long enough to eat, but after less than 10 minutes of playtime he was rubbing his eyes again — a clear sign that it’s nap time. I meant to get a million things done while he slept, but I only managed to get dinner in the crockpot before plopping onto the couch and zoning out for the rest of the morning — I really need to get more sleep during the week! Around mid-afternoon I started to come out of my fog and I realized that hubby would be home from work soon–time to workout was running out! I threw Pure Cardio on and just went for it. I started to get some energy after the warm-up, but Shaun T made sure that didn’t last very long — holy cow I’m out of shape! Of course, Baby Boy woke up as we were starting to cool down, so I got sweaty cuddles and kisses while I stretched. 🙂


Dinner was homemade beef stroganoff — not bad, but definitely needs some tweaks before I cook it again. I wish I could find veggies that went well with it besides mushrooms, but for now I’ll just have to make sure there’s a side salad. And now it’s off to work on my freelance articles and do some laundry while Baby Boy naps some more — I go back to work tomorrow so once he wakes up I drop everything to play with him.

Is anyone else changing up their workout program to get more success? Are you seeing any progress on your journey to getting healthy?